We Are Training Pioneers
The Therapeutics Graduate Program focuses on pharmacology, toxicology and drug discovery, emphasizing research in both HMS labs and in real-world internships. Our goal is to provide students with the intellectual tool kit and practical skills necessary to be productive researchers in therapeutics discovery throughout the workforce.
The certificate program offers rigorous, multidisciplinary training relevant to identifying and developing novel therapeutics, understanding and investigating mechanisms of drug action, analyzing the reasons for clinical failures, and developing new compounds and applying them in preclinical and clinical studies to improve the treatment of disease.
This program will provide students with all the tools and skills necessary for these aims, including quantitative skills and modern cutting-edge techniques. This involves elucidating and understanding biological pathways and therapeutic mechanisms, understanding adverse effects to limit toxicity, identifying novel therapeutic targets, and characterizing the pharmacologic profiles (pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics) of new compounds. Students will understand the social implications and impact of these activities, and we therefore aim to link this training to industrial, clinical, and regulatory activities and to encourage students to consider their studies in a society-wide context.
A New Certificate Program in Therapeutics
The Therapeutics Graduate Program is a new HILS-wide certificate program that provides a rigorous curriculum and builds a community of PhD students and faculty with common interests in Therapeutic Sciences. The rationale behind the new certificate program is to offer to a subset of our Ph.D. trainees rigorous multidisciplinary training in the sciences relevant to identifying and developing novel diagnostics and therapeutics, and in understanding and elucidating mechanisms of drug action, understanding clinical failures, developing compounds and applying them in preclinical and clinical studies, and understanding the societal implications and impact of these activities. This training will provide students with a well-rounded understanding so that they can examine a therapeutic problem from every angle. Importantly, the training the students receive will also include intensive, hands-on internship experiences. The ultimate purpose of the program is to prepare Ph.D. students for careers in academic, industrial and clinical settings.
- “I can’t imagine a better program for learning the fundamentals of drug discovery and getting hands experience in industry. Not only will you understand the basics of therapeutic development, but you will enhance your own thesis research, network with like-minded students and experts in the field, and have a good idea what career to pursue after graduation. I couldn’t recommended it more.”
- “The internship is truly a unique experience to gain insight on where you can work after completing your PhD.”
- “The course work of TGP gave me a solid foundation for my internship and I was able to hit the ground running as soon as I joined my team.”
- “TGP gives you the chance to network, network, network! This can be key for getting that initial ‘in’ upon graduation!”
- “Being part of the therapeutics program has motivated me to think about my research work from a translational perspective. As a graduate student working full-time in the lab, it is important not to forget about the ultimate goal, “how can we translate our findings in order to help patients?”